Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Taking on Woo in Martial Arts, 1 1/2 hour Science Credit

TAM: James Randi Foundation: Skepticism: Science: Video: 1 1/2 hour Science Credit.


When a student exists their formal education, sometimes it seems as if education has stopped and working must begin. However, people can retain and support a life long love of learning without having to attend formal education. For example, a group of people calling themselves Skeptics go to The Amaz!ng Meeting annually and hold various talks about an assorted collection of  topics unified by the idea of Skeptical thinking. 

This particular topic, Martial Arts, may well appeal to boys with an interest in martial arts and even more so for a child who reads comic books or watches various superhero movies. As a young boy, Superheroes had my admiration. 

In the case of my daughter, being a particularly concerned father, I have sought to awaken and interest in martial arts within my daughter. My rational being: "Boys have an off button. If you hit it hard enough, often enough, they will get off you." My daughter has taken some classes in Kenpo with Jeff O'Donnell. As such, she might have a more than passing interest in the topic of martial arts and I can see some value in setting reasonable expectation of martial arts in her mind. The added bonus of explaining how martial arts is still science is just gravy.

An hour and a half of a panel might seem a bit long or a tad dull to someone who's interests do not align with the material. However, I enjoy it. I am watching it. I think that if the old adage of "Monkey See, Monkey Do" applies to children watching their parents, my daughter might enjoy it as well.

I hope yours do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment