Friday, September 19, 2014

Science: Videos: Supplementary Science from The Periodic Table of Videos.

A nice re-discovery, serendipity. 


At some point in the distant past, I must have found and "liked" a video and subsequently a page on Facebook. This page is called, "The Periodic Table of Videos." Obviously, this is the kind of thing that would be right up my ally, loving science and all. Still, I have absolutely no memory of this. Odd.

As it happens, the University of Nottingham had a fire recently. This story seemed newsworthy enough for Facebook to push to my news feed. Lo and behold, I find that they have a YouTube channel listing 500 videos of a reasonably short duration each. Still, seems like an excellent mass of science videos for a student wishing to continue to gain Core Science Credit.

Now, if I may make a suggestion. I think you could do as I have done and get your child set up on a Google Drive account. Then, as they watch the videos, they can record the video name, the time, and write a paragraph or two about the video. This would allow them some experience working a word processing document (GoogleDoc), some time with writing that also helps firm up spelling as Google Docs will underline spelling errors, some hands on the keys with typing (which is a useful skill to possess), and some Core Language Arts: Composition experience while also giving you some easily accessed "Examples of Work."

I'm going to talk to my daughter about it now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment