Wednesday, October 9, 2013

(NC): Logic: False Equivalence

Non-Core: Logic: False Equivalence

I decided my kids need to learn critical thinking skills. Today's lesson for Aiden went as follows:
Daddy: (Monstrous) "I'm going to EAT you, it is good for your healthy growth and development."
Aiden: (Feigned horror) "No, daddy. Eating is bad."
Daddy: (Inquiring) "Do you need to eat to grow?"
Aiden
: (Confused) "We eat food to grow."
Daddy
: (Malevolent) "Ah, then eating is necessary for growing."
Aiden
: ???
Daddy
: (Monstrous voice) "See! Eating is good for your growth and development. Now I must eat you!"

....
This
logical fallacy is called false equivalence. Obviously, it is nonsense as eating food and eating babies is significantly different. It is a false equivalence. What I pretend are equal are different because of a different use of the word.
 Logic to the Rescue

No comments:

Post a Comment